Viviana Correa Period 8

Monday, September 5, 2011

"The Perfect Life" By John Koethe


I am a kind of person who believes in living with no regrets, living life to the fullest, so when we get old and look back, we can still remember those things that we did and really impacted us. Most importantly when we think of them we can still respond to them with feelings, with emotions.
After reading "The Perfect Life" I simply could not stop thinking on how a person could live conforming themselves with what they achieve and nothing else? How can someone live without wanting to achieve more for themselves? Without having that bit of ambition, (which I must admit, everyone has) to push us to go for more? 

Living without disappointments is not really living; it does not let us learn from our mistakes and grow up from them. Unlike the author, Koethe, I really want to be able to grow up, and when I am old I can look back and remember things vividly like if it had happened not long ago. As a result I live everyday (or at least try to) to the maximum, trying to have no regrets so I can have my conscience calm, and when the moment to die or to grow old comes I will not have any regrets and I will be able to rest in peace, literary. 

I can’t deny, that we have more responsibilities and more worries as we grow older, but what is the point of growing up if you don’t have this? What is the point and satisfaction of wanting to get a car if we are not going to worry about crashing or getting a ticket? These factors are part of the process, the process of growing up. We all pass through it and we must assume it in the correct way, so when we grow old, we will not feel what we had is colorless and cold.

Reading this poem, I couldn’t stop thinking of the movie The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. It made me analyze having to be born as an old person living backward, and dying as a baby. Forgetting how to talk, walk, eat, simply forgetting everything seems terrible!
The path of life is perfectly designed; start with innocence, to make our mistakes, learn from them and then, use this to progress and help others. Consequently, when you are very old and you start forgetting things, you will still have that feeling, very deep in you, that you lived as you wanted without any regrets… At least I hope so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment